Monday 15 October 2012

Interview - Glorian Gray

A connoisseur of good old-fashioned British humour, Glorian brings the laughter and spectacle of the old Music Hall back to the stage. Always the quirky comic; her acts are filled with iconic song, gender-bending sauce, novelty and physical farce.  Inspired by such legends as Morecambe and Wise, Buster Keaton, Marie Lloyd and Benny Hill, Glorian is on a mission to see a return of the burlesque and variety heydays.

Glorian is on a mission to see the return of the burlesque and variety heydays

What was your first experience of Burlesque or Cabaret, and what convinced you to start yourself?

I was at a point in my life where I was very unhappy with the way things were going. I was very much needing to get some magic back in my life, so when I saw an ad for "ladies of all shapes and sizes wanted for burlesque troupe", I thought I would give it a go. As it was I chickened out of being in this troupe, but a few months later I watched 'Faking It' when burlesque was the theme, and realised I still fancied it. I then saw an ad for burlesque classes and decided that this time I would go for it!

Glorian brings the laughter, song and spectacle of the old music hall back to the stage

How did you choose your stage name?

Glorian Gray is not my first stage name. I've had a couple of incarnations but I chose Glorian Gray because of the link with Oscar Wilde, who I love, and also because I am an avid writer so it felt really 'me'

"I chose Glorian Gray because of the link with Oscar Wilde, who I love..."

Your style of burlesque is pretty unique. How did it come about?

I've always done things a little bit different in some ways - firstly because I didn't really want to show pasties. There was no real reason for this, the ideas I had just didn't lead to it. My nana was a piano singer in the old WWII pubs and my great-granddad was a song and dance man so I was brought up with the old songs and good old British comedy. The more I read about proper old Music Hall, the more I loved it, and eventually decided I needed to start putting it in my acts. This meant daring to sing, in front of people and everything, which I haven't done since I was a wee bairn! Scary!

"I've always done things a little bit different"

Who are your biggest influences/inspirations?

I am really inspired by the humour of Carry On films, Benny Hill, Morecambe and Wise, Norman Wisdom and the old music hall stars like Marie Lloyd and Ella Shields.  I really love old rudey seaside style humour, like the postcards of Donald McGill. Oooh, Matron!

 
"Oooh, Matron!" Carry On Films ** Benny Hill

 
Morecambe and Wise ** Norman Wisdom

 
Marie Lloyd ** Ella Shields 

Donald McGill Postcards

Tell me something no one would suspect about you...

Errrm... I used to be a cyber goth with a 3/4 undercut and UV stacked boots?!

"Do your best to develop the best act you can"

Finally: any words of advice for newcomers to the scene?

Do your best to develop the best act you can: both for the audience and for the love of it. Don't get embroiled in, or scared off by politics; or get disheartened when things aren't going well. RESEARCH! Not just current acts but find out about the history of the art form you are practising; it will enhance what you do.  And be honest/realistic about your experience and ability: even if you are a PR genius - there is no shame in being inexperienced or mediocre or in making mistakes, almost everybody is at some point - just work at getting better!

"Don't get disheartened when things aren't going well."

More Glorian



No comments:

Post a Comment